Call Now Book Online Now
16 May 2022

What Is The Difference Between Ob/Gyn And Gynaecology

The OB/GYN is a field of medicine that includes certification in both Obstetrics and Gynecology simultaneously, while Gynaecology is a field of medicine that includes certification in just Gynaecology. They are similar, but not identical, please read on to find out more.

Although both Obstetrics and Gynecology areboth related to the care, treatment and diagnosis of women and babies, it is important to know which specialist to visit when specific issues arise. Contact us if you need a private Gynaecologist here in London. Reach out to us at the Gynecology Clinic.


Obstetrics is a field of medicine that deals with diagnosis, treatment and care during pregnancy, beginning from prenatal to postnatal term. Anyone who specialises in obstetrics is known as an obstetrician. From prenatal appointments to the care and delivery of babies, the Obstetrician is involved and is actively responsible. A Gynaecologist, however, cannot deliver babies or take care of issues related to pregnancy.

For those who may be having a hard time conceiving, an Obstetrician can provide or recommend fertility treatments that may help. Additionally, an Obstetrician is the one to call when there is premature birth, as they will be there to guide in the intensive care unit. If you want to ensure that you remain healthy during pregnancy and have a healthy baby after a full term, you should have regular appointments with your Obstetrician. Furthermore, Obstetricians are the ones to call when it comes to the handling of complications in pregnancy like the following;

  • Placental issues
  • Preeclampsia
  • Childbirth through Caesarean section
  • Ectopic pregnancy
  • Signs of fetal distress

Besides care during pregnancy, an Obstetrician is there to deliver postpartum care when needed.


Gynaecology is a field of medicine that deals with the care, treatment and diagnosis of issues relating to the female reproductive system from first perioduntil menopause. Anyone who specialises in this area is known as a Gynaecologist. They are responsible for diagnosing, treating, and caring for issues affecting the vagina, cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.

Additionally, tests and screenings required for the optimum health of the female reproductive system like Pap Smears, pelvic examinations and colposcopies are conducted by a Gynaecologist. Also, hysterectomies and tubal ligations are equally performed by a Gynaecologist and delivery of vaccinations for protection against HPV.

If you want advice on safe sexual practices like the use of contraceptives and protection against STDs, the person to see is a Gynaecologist. Generally, you should speak to your Gynaecologist about every issue that is not related to pregnancy but is related to feminine health and care. A Gynaecologist diagnoses and treats issues related to female health such as;

  • Cancers of any of the female reproductive organs
  • Infections of the vagina
  • Uterine fibroids
  • Irregular menstruation
  • Issues that cause pain during sexual intercourse
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Prolapse of pelvic organs
  • Cervical and vaginal polyps
  • Endometriosis

Fortunately, some physicians specialise in both Obstetrics and Gynaecology to provide all-around care to their female patients. Those specialists specialising in Obstetrics and Gynaecology are referred to as OB/GYNs.

Do you need a Gynaecologist to diagnose, care for, and treat any female issues? London has some of the best Gynaecologists, and you can contact us at Gynaecology Clinic if you need a Gynaecologist in London.